Monday, February 23, 2009

Moulin Rouge

In the blog before last, one user asked me what my favorite movie was. I thought I would take this opportunity to write a little review of what I consider my favorite movie. I have seen a lot of movies in my day, but none that compare to the awesomeness that is Moulin Rouge. Everything about this movie amazes me. 

There were however a few slip-ups that probably wouldn't be visible to the average viewer, but once you notice them, it's hard not to think about it every time you watch the movie. I love it when you find visible crew in movies, especially GOOD movies.

The first instance in this movie is during the "Spectacular Spectacular" dance sequence. 


As you can see, there is a watch-wearing crew member in a beige hat just barely visible on the bottom right hand side of the frame. I had to watch this movie at least 5 times before I realized this.

The second instance is during the "Tango Roxanne" scene, where very briefly, a camera and kneeling crew member is visible, and the spotlight even pans over him at one point. 



It's much easier to notice when the camera is actually moving, but on the right hand side of the frame, it's easy to see.

All movies have problems like this, and I don't think it takes away from the experience at all, because rarely are these things even noticed. Everything about this movie is phenomenal, and despite these little things, it still amazes me. The passion put in to this story is what makes it so moving. This is by far Nicole Kidman's best movie.

The most memorable scene from this movie, in my opinion is the "Tango Roxanne" dance sequence. It is by far the most emotional moment of the movie, the moment at which the audience is most engaged in the story. Everything about it is intense - the music, the dancing, even the colors. 

For me, Moulin Rouge is an emotional movie experience that I have not seen in any other film. If you haven't seen this movie, you need to.

1 comment:

  1. I swear I've seen Moulin Rouge at least 3 times and never saw anything! Pretty sweet stuff- I do remember that in one of the Harry Potters, the kids came through the portrait door to their dormitory and as the door is "closing itself behind them" you can see where the magic is actually coming from : somebody wearing shoes pushing the door shut. You can only see the broken light coming from under the door, but I got a giggle out of it.

    I think I'll put someone holding a boom mic in an edge of one of my animations, just to see if anyone notices. HA!

    ReplyDelete