Sunday, February 22, 2009

Coraline



A few nights ago, myself and several of my new college friends made the expedition to the movie theatre to see Coraline in  3D. Overall, I have to say I was rather impressed with this movie. 


I liked a lot that she was from Michigan, because I, myself live (when I am not at school of course) about 45 minutes from Pontiac, where Coraline and her family are from. Far too many characters are from New York. It's a city.... it's exciting... we get it. I did appreciate the attempt at making her look like a "legit" Michigander when she referred to her friends back home as "trolls" (a term used for anyone living below the Mackinaw Bridge that separates the lower peninsula from the upper peninsula). However, this term is normally used only by "Yoopers" (people living in the "UP" or Upper Peninsula), and is directed, almost, but not quite, in a derogatory manner. Anyway, like I said, I appreciated the thought, even though it was a little inaccurate. Of course, I might be reading far too in to the term used in the movie, but I still like to think they tried. 


What I also enjoyed about the movie is that it was a genuinely interesting plot. It wasn't too terribly unique - girl wants new family, decides old family is good enough.  However, it was of a quality we don't run in to too much lately. I'm starting to get tired of all of these remakes. It seems like all of the good movie ideas have already been done, so movie makers feel like they need to revive 20+ year old stories rather than make up something NEW and interesting. The revival of this Neil Gaiman story was unique in a way. Now I'm just starting to ramble.... Bottom line: Coraline was good, surprising at times, heartfelt, and beautifully created. The fact that it was 3D added to the experience, but I think it will be just as magical without the 3D effect. The last movie I saw in 3D was Beowulf, which I thought was excellent from a graphics standpoint, but was less so interesting without the 3D effect. 


Anyway, I suppose that's all from me today! I hope all you [2] readers of mine had great weekends!



2 comments: